Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I got a cell phone!

Hey all,

Today was my second day of school. We are still pretty unfamiliar with the school and the city so we are constantly being led around like a group of baby tourists. Which we kind of are. Today we were all led in a big white group to where our orientation was held (the library, Bridget's domain), and then lead through another discussion of Dominican culture. This one focused on families and children. It was really interesting. Afterwards we were supposed to meet with an insurance company but they never arrived. Then we waited for an hour or two for a cab (are you getting an idea of how things work here?) and crammed in to go to the store to get cell phones, picking J.P. up on the way and somehow fitting him into the clown car also. In total there were 11 people in the minivan. Once we got to the store only two of us spoke Spanish, so it took a very long time to get phones. We all got the same one, which cost us about $8 (awesome), and some prepaid cards. You guys can call me now! Or text! My phone number (which I am not sure if I should post online but here it is) is: (829) 322-7889. I don't think there is a country code but I really don't know. You can skype it or something, or text. Anyway after the phone thing we went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant where I had a delicious margarita and was brought a second one for free. I didn't realize I was going to get too so I talked a little too loudly and stumbled more than I should have on the way home, but I covered by saying it was my shoes. I think they bought it. When we came back Alex was here, my other roommate, so we talked for awhile about the pitfalls of the school where we will be working. I am going to try to see for myself what it is like though. I miss you guys, but I am having a great time so far, I feel like already my Spanish is improving and I am getting my bearings a little bit. I know the three major streets around my and a little bit about the area where I live, which is a start. It has rained on and off since we got here but it is the craziest rain ever. Not like in Michigan. It will be sunny and you can see one storm cloud in the sky but it is hot and humid and nice, and then the cloud passes and it pours like it's a hurricane, and then ten minutes later it's sunny again. It is very weird but nicer than raining all day like in Michigan. I guess it is going to get worse before it's better because we are entering the rainy season. Don't look Mom!!! (By rainy season I mean hurricane season). 

Love you guys!

Caitlin

1 comment:

  1. ive been trying to skype you, this number seems fishy!

    ReplyDelete