Sunday, August 9, 2009

Pretend this one is Saturday

I slept in the most ridiculous room at this house. You can see it on my photosite. It was this enormous bed with mosquito netting dyed to be nice looking instead of clinical like it usually is. On Saturday morning I woke up a happy camper from sleeping in that room. When we were all awake and well caffeinated we made our way back through the mud puddles and cows down to the road we had come in on. We climbed into the back of a pick-up truck (taxi) which was the second time we had done this in two days. Sorry Mom. No helmet either. Once we started going though some towns a guy climbed into the back too. He sat uncomfortably close to me and insisted on reaching over my lap to hold onto the bar on the back of the truck. Silly me, I thought that he was just a regular creeper. It turns out he was a thief posing as a creeper. I was trying to avoid eye contact (I know the ladies in the audience know what I'm talking about) and I head Melissa saying "Caitlin your purse your purse!" I turned to see that he had opened my purse about halfway and had slipped his fingers inside it. Now normally when I think of these types of things happening to me I imagine becoming violent or abnormally sharp-tongued and saying just the right clever thing, but all I could do was stare at this guy. Luckily he hadn't had time to take anything (Thank you Melissa), but he just looked right back into my eyes, smiled, and got off the truck. It was shocking. 

Shortly after that we arrived at the most beautiful beach I have ever seen, and it was hard to even remember that fake creep robber. We went to a restaurant called El Cayuco in a city called Las Terrenas (give me a job Lonely Planet). It was about 10 feet from the water and we sat in the shade and had breakfast. All of this will be documented on my photosite, don't worry. After breakfast we wandered down the beach and found some palm trees to lie under. J.P. made his first friends in Spanish who were two guys from Limon, and were hilarious, and he also hunted coconuts the rest of the afternoon by himself. I think I personally saw him smashing three separate coconuts, and I'm sure he ate more I did not see. It was all very impressive. We had dinner late at a restaurant called La Casa Azul, and I had delicious pizza. We stayed to long and had to figure out how we were going to get back to the house where we were staying. We thought about taking a taxi but decided it was too expensive, so we settled on taking mototaxis. Mom, if you are reading this I suggest you just skip this part, because you will throw up in your mouth. Mototaxis (they also call them motoconchos) are these little tiny motorcycles that people use as taxis. After we decided on a price two of us got on the back of each motorcycle (making it three people) and held on tight. So far in the week that I have been here I have not seen a single person wearing a helmet on these. We were no exception. We went flying through the night on the back of this little thing with just the sound of the engine, the wind, our cries of "Con cuidado!" (Be careful!), and the drivers wicked laughter. We finally saw the cow sign and told the driver to stop. We all made it in one piece. It was a really thrilling way to travel, and I can see why so many people do it here. 

When we got back our hosts were awake and the power was out, so they asked us if we wanted to swim in their two-layer pool. We, of course, did. We swam and listened to the crazy jungle noises going on around the house, and watched bats swoop down and touch the pool water. I thought it was really cool, I don't think Melissa liked it as much. Anyway, it was an amazing trip to the beach and a very eventful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment