Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion

Everyone that was in Ecuador with me, remember the stomach issues that we all had for months? Well, I think that those have begun for me now. WOOT! Too personal for the worldwide web? I think not. 

Indigestion aside, I am starting to have a lot more work at school, so I am hoping to get it all done before classes start. I am making to-do lists that are getting longer and longer, but I am glad for all the time I have to prepare before the kids get there. Next Wednesday we are going to have an orientation with the students and they come for the first day the following Wednesday. I also have made friends with the Haitian guy who runs the fruit stand outside the school, his name is Sergio, and I bought a huge to-go box of cut up fruit for lunch today for a little over $2, which is awesome. Unfortunately, it may be doing not-so-pleasant things to my stomach. I came home and decided to take a break from work and read, and I read Drown by Junot Diaz. You guys should read it if you don't mind reading a lot of stories that are a little vulgar, kind of downers, but well written. He's the guy that wrote The Brief and Wondrous of Oscar Wao. Both of them take place in the Dominican Republic so they are fun to read right now. 

While I was reading I started to wonder how much longer J.P. could possibly run he burst in the front door, bleeding and wet (I don't know how much longer I can continue to be surprised by these things). He had been for a long run in the rain and had tripped and fallen in a puddle/lake in the street. He cut his palm and bruised his knee, but is okay overall. His exact words were, "You have no idea what it is like to be completely submerged in third-world sewer water." I am glad for that, but I did feel sorry for him. 

After that I went back to work and made a syllabus and looked over my curriculum again. Right now I am sitting with J.P. and Melissa discussing the pros and cons of Zombie movies so I have to go. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment