Thursday, August 13, 2009

Picking Up

This morning our power went out again while we were all getting ready. There is something wrong with our generator so lately if someone starts blow-drying their hair the whole house's power stops working. We have a reset button that we press and then it comes right back on again. This has happened the last 3 mornings in a row. I am still adjusting to the whole power thing here, but it goes off and on every day at last once, even at school. Luckily everywhere I am seems to have generators, but the weirdest thing about it is how Dominicans don't react at all. No one says anything, or even looks up from their work or shopping or whatever. Occasionally someone says in an offhand way, "Se fue la luz", which means the lights went out, but that's it. It's bizarre. I can only compare it to Michigander's reaction to rain or snow versus Californians. I guess eventually I won't even notice, but for now it seems kind of crazy. We also have hot water in the apartment now, a new addition, but you have to flip a switch and then wait a long time for the tank to heat up, so I am still taking cold showers because I am not patient enough to go through the process. 

Anyway, we had a lecture on The First Days of School which was really great at school and I got some really good ideas. Then I went for a coffee with Alejandra and Melissa, and I mentioned that I majored in Spanish in school, which apparently I did not tell Alejandra before. We've been speaking much more Spanish since. I worked for awhile at school, came home, took a nap, and went shopping with Melissa and Bridget. Bridget came home shortly after, but I found a tiny black dress to wear out ("You Ain't Nothin but a Hoochie Mama" has been stuck in my head ever since). I was having serious Ecuador flashbacks to Quicentro, Moni. Especially when we thought about getting mall sushi and I thought about that time you had mall chinese food and then mall food poisoning. 

I am starting to get more settled in here and get closer to the people around me. I am starting to figure out places to go and things to do that aren't work or reading at my apartment. We are going out tomorrow which will be the first time so I am looking forward to that. Plus I can wear my tiny dress. Hopefully that's culturally appropriate. Sorry Family. Anyway, I love all of you guys! Keep the emails coming and follow and comment on my blog! I like to rub it in Japer's face that my blog is more popular than his. If you would like to humor him you can read his blog as well, it's triathlon related though. His address is www.poohbeartri.blogspot.com. Miss you guys!

1 comment: