Monday, August 3, 2009

First Day of School/Apartment Hunt for Japer

Today was my first day at the Ashton School. Bridget, my roommate, and I went at 8 but we didn’t see any of the other teachers until nine. Bridget and I went up to my classroom and organized some of the furniture until the other teachers came. We went on a tour of the school, which is under construction but looks very nice. We ended up in the library where Bridget will be working as the librarian. They gave us some presentations about the school and Dominican culture. 

Then after school J.P, Sarah and her husband Sean (the ones from the plane), a girl named Stacy and her fiancé Doug and I went to look for apartments with a realtor.  We went in two shifts because we could not all fit in the car. J.P, Sarah, Sean and I went first and I translated between them and the realtor. Sarah and Sean liked the first place they saw so that was easy. They just got married and it is a really cute little apartment near the school. We went back to drop them off and pick up Stacy and Doug. We looked at three apartments with them and I think they decided to take a place farther away from the school but with an ocean view, which is really beautiful. We looked at an apartment for J.P. as well, and even though by our standards it wasn’t that bad, the realtor thought it was so bad that we left rather abruptly. She said on the way out, “How are they going to rent something in that condition?”.  I think J.P. and I may need to reevaluate our standards of living. Anyway, we will be looking at some more apartments for him in the next few days. We went out to dinner at a delicious Lebanese restaurant and I met my other roommate, Alejandra, who is Spanish and seems super nice. Another girl, Melissa, is staying with us for a bit too. I am really happy to have started school because I feel like I have a few instafriends who I can hang out with now. Tomorrow I will get a cell phone to call you all. Love you all.

 

Un beso

No comments:

Post a Comment